We are thrilled to offer the Palette Poetry Prize for 2021: $4000 and publication! We are seeking one excellent poem that speaks to what poetry is and can be for our world today. Send us your incandescent heart on the page.
The winner will be selected by our guest judge, the 2020 Pulitzer Prize Winner Jericho Brown https://www.jerichobrown.com.
Jericho Brown is author of the The Tradition (Copper Canyon 2019), for which he won the Pulitzer Prize. He is the recipient of fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard, and the National Endowment for the Arts, and he is the winner of the Whiting Award. Brown’s first book, Please (New Issues 2008), won the American Book Award. His second book, The New Testament (Copper Canyon 2014), won the Anisfield-Wolf Book Award. His third collection, The Tradition won the Paterson Poetry Prize and was a finalist for the National Book Award and the National Book Critics Circle Award. His poems have appeared in The Bennington Review, Buzzfeed, Fence, jubilat, The New Republic, The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Paris Review, TIME magazine, and several volumes of The Best American Poetry. He is the director of the Creative Writing Program and a professor at Emory University.
Palette's editors will choose the ten finalists and any honorable mentions that warrant extra attention. Our judge will then select the winner and runner-ups! Second and third place will receive $300 and $200, respectively.
- Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are okay to include, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere (we want to say congrats!)
- There is no page requirement, but submission must be no more than 3 poems. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- We do accept multiple submissions, but each submission will include the reading fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history
- Review our FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- Contest closes on August 15, 2021.
included unique opportunities & discounts
As a thank you for your support for Palette, we'd like to offer these unique opportunities:
The Poetry School is offering every submitter a 20% off discount code (average of $28 value) to one of their online courses! Head to their platform, find a course you're interested in, and use the code included in the confirmation message at checkout.
The Writing Salon is offering every submitter a 10% off discount code on a writing class. Go to https://www.writingsalons.com/ to find a class and type in the code in the confirmation during checkout.
editorial feedback option
This option costs $59 and will provide you with two pages of detailed and actionable feedback on a poem of your choice from the submission, including suggestions for future submissions. Our guest editors are paid a significant portion of the fee (at EFA rates) and are all incredibly astute and professional poets.