The 2019 Diversity in Publishing found that, on average, 80% of decision makers in the publishing industry are Cis, Straight, White, and Able-bodied. This inevitably creates systematized discrimination on who gets published—without active and deliberate measures, the historically marginalized will continue to be marginalized. Beautiful, innovative voices will continue to be passed over, dismissed and lost.
We at Palette Poetry wish to use our platform in active ways to change the discriminatory systems of the publishing industry. We stand with our Black writers, our Native writers, our LGBTQIA+ writers, our Disabled writers, our Neurodiverse writers, our culturally under-represented writers. This space is yours.
We welcome all self-identifying, historically marginalized authors to submit here for a quick decision made directly by the editors. We'll do our best to get word back to you on your poetry within 2-4 weeks.
Josh & the Palette team
- Submissions are open internationally, for self-identifying, historically marginalized authors
- Send us only your best. We will be extremely selective.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere (We want to say congrats!)
- All submissions must be no more than 10 pages and no more than 5 poems.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- Expect 2-4 weeks for a response
- Publication in our Featured Poetry series includes a $50 per poem payment